Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lost 19 Pounds So Far!

I confess, after seeing the scale down to 128 two days ago, I did feel ravenously hungry for two days and seemed to eat nonstop in celebration, but fortunately the foods I did eat were all good for me so I doubt I'll do any permanent damage.

I lost the weight by changing my eating habits -- the usual suspects: portion control, watch the fat, watch carbs, and lose the junk and sweets.

The core of this for the past four months or so has been Nutrisystem. This was my husband Kim's idea and I never would have considered it otherwise as I don't much like structured diet plans but it actually did help a great deal because it's such a no brainer -- you eat three meals a day and a snack, trying to eat either a Nutrisystem entree or something from their "eating out" guide (which I do a lot because I just can't stomach three meals a day of packaged food.) You add your own protein, dairy, and fresh fruits and vegetables, although the Nutrisystem entrees themselves are very high in protein and fiber. I like their black rice and beans for lunch (I use it as the base for a Southwestern salad), just about all their breakfasts (especially the apple or chocolate chip scones), and their pizza dinners the best. Their desserts are wonderful -- especially the almond biscotti and the chocolate brownies.

Since I've been doing a modified version of the plan I don't anticipate a change in my eating habits once I stop eating the food (if I ever do... I think I will keep buying the breakfasts and desserts forever!)

I never thought I'd say it but I do think that plans like Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, etc. work very well as long as you educate yourself on what makes them work and can adapt your own eating to that on a permanent basis. In other words, you can't just eat their food for a few months, lose weight, and then go back to the way you used to eat (huge portions, junk food, etc.) and expect to keep the weight off. You have to realize that what you put in your mouth will continue to count from now on.

Anyway, thought I'd share what worked for me!

No comments: